Highland Village History
The Nova Scotia Highland Village Society was founded in 1959, to create a living history museum to interpret, preserve and promote the Scottish Gaelic language, culture and heritage as found in Nova Scotia. In 2000, the Society entered into a new relationship with the Province of Nova Scotia, which resulted in the Highland Village becoming a part of the Nova Scotia Museum family. The Society continues to operate the site on behalf of the Province.
Our vision is to be the leading Gaelic folklife centre, recognized in Nova Scotia, nationally and internationally as an essential institution for continuing development and representation of a vital and sustainable Gaelic community.
Our mission is to grow as a Gaelic folklife centre that bilingually nurtures, communicates and celebrates the heritage and cultural identity of Nova Scotia’s Gaelic community.
Our Commitment to Gaelic
On June 20, 2009, the Nova Scotia Highland Village Society’s Board of Trustees formalised the sites commitment to Gaelic with the adoption of the Village’s first Gaelic Policy [PDF 136 KB]. It is the first such policy for any Gaelic related institution or organisation in Canada. A fully bi-lingual version of the policy is now available in pdf format by clicking the link above.